My name is Lulu Abbott and I have resided in Cobble Hill, BC for the last 18 years. I am a mom of 5 biological children of whom I homeschooled and I have been a care giver to 20 children with varying levels of special needs.
Two of my biological children struggle with dyslexia. As a homeschool mom, I had to find ways to help my children with these struggles. Through my journey of finding strategies, I came across the Barton Reading and Spelling System that follows the Orton Gillingham (OG) methodology. After connecting with the founder of Barton Reading and Spelling System, I decided to take their training and I am now a Certified Advanced Tutor, working towards my Masters. With this training I have been able to help students ranging in age from 5 ½ to 19 years.
I most recently earned a certificate for teaching math to children who struggle with dyslexia using the OG method.
Lulu will be bringing us 1 workshop:
During our time together we will look at:
- What is dyslexia and the myths around it.
- what are the signs of dyslexia
- The importance of phonemic awareness
- Strategies to use to help teach your children who struggle with dyslexia
- Understanding why the Orton Gillingham methodology works best for teaching children with dyslexia.
- Screening Intervention for children in early years (K-1)
- Assessment Screening for dyslexia
- Question and answer time and looking at resources